Do you feel like sometimes you are not as passionate for Christ as you once were?
Do you feel as if you’ve lost your identity in Him to some degree?
If so, you wouldn’t be the first.
During these seasons, it always helps for us to be reminded of who we once were in Him.
This is the strategy that the writer of Hebrews used with the early church when their passion began to wane.
As you read the passage, notice the following three things:
1. They were reminded of past commitments and accomplishments. (v. 32–34)
2. They were reminded of their WHY. (the end of v. 34)
3. They were reminded of their eternal reward. (v. 35)
Hebrews 10:32–39 (NIV)
32 Remember those earlier days after you had received the light when you endured in a great conflict full of suffering.
33 Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated.
34 You suffered along with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions. So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.
Upon reading the extreme persecution these Christians willingly suffered for Christ, I’m amazed that they could ever go on to struggle with their faith.
Then, I remember…Oh, yeah, humanity. It’s been the great betrayer for a long time.
And if it happened to them, it’s no wonder that it happens to us as well.
Thankfully, the same antidote that worked for them can work for us also.
Therefore, if you need to reclaim who you are in Christ, try this:
Recall Your Past Victories
- What work have you done for the Kingdom of God?
- What are some beautiful experiences that you’ve had at Christ’s feet?
- What level of devotion have you demonstrated to Christ in the past
Remember Your WHY:
- What motivated you to demonstrate such devotion to Christ in the past?
- Do you still believe in that WHY?
- If not, what has changed?
- “So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.” (v. 35
- What you do for Christ may be ignored by the world, but will never go unnoticed by Him.
My prayer is for you to have a revival of your devotion to Christ by remembering who you once were. And who you shall be again.
Get unstuck by believing the TRUTH about yourself.